If you need to travel to China for filming or working on a media-related project, obtaining a J2Visa/Journalist Visa is essential for legal reasons. The application for the J2 Visa in China can be a challenging process, but we’re here to provide you with the necessary information to make it smoother.

Please be aware that using a travel visa for filming in China is technically illegal. However, if your purpose is related to commercial, corporate, or branded content, a business visa may suffice as it’s for marketing purposes and not political activities.

China J2 Visa Application

Given the recent staff changes at the Chinese consulate due to COVID, it’s advisable to start the China J2 visa application process as early as possible. Typically, the application takes 15 to 30 days, but it can be influenced by political events, if you don’t have a government-supported party in China assisting your filming project, your first step should be to contact your local Chinese consulate.

You can find specific visa information on their official website, and if you have trouble reaching them by phone, try sending an email. If you receive an automatic reply, follow up with another email to ensure they are aware of your need to get in touch.

When communicating with the Chinese consulate, you’ll likely be directed to the News/Public Matter department for filming purposes. This information may not be readily available on the consulate’s website, but email correspondence usually helps.

To apply for the J2 Visa, you’ll need to prepare the following documents:

  1. Your passport and a copy of it.
  2. An introduction letter from your company outlining the purpose of your visa application
  3. A formal application letter on letter-headed paper, including a brief introduction of your company/TV station details about the documentary, planned broadcasting time and platform, crew members, and planned arrival and departure dates.
  4. Crew information list, including scanned copies of the crew’s passports and an explanation of their roles (e.g., director, presenter, producer, cameraman, soundman, etc.).
  5. A detailed shooting schedule with specific dates, locations, and activities.
  6. Contact information for local filming venues or organizations in China.
  7. A list of the equipment you’ll be bringing from abroad
  8. An interview outline, if interviews are planned as part of the project

Once you’ve gathered all the necessary documents, proceed with Step 2, which involves submitting your application to the consulate through COVA. It’s an online form that you need to fill in, it takes at least 20-30 minutes, here is a full screenshot of the whole form, take a look so you know what information you might need ahead of you.

Please note that this information is provided as a basic guide, and you may need to seek additional assistance from your local Chinese consulate or relevant authorities for specific questions or circumstances related to your J2 Visa application. Good luck with your visa process and your filming project in China!

While you finding hard to bring equipment to China, we provide full production services, that includes equipment rental, crew hire, location scouting and all types of support.